Funding Opportunity: Funding for Accelerated Inclusive Research
The DOE Office of Science (SC) program in Biological and Environmental Research (BER) hereby announces its interest in applications from institutions historically underrepresented in the SC portfolio, including non-R1 minority serving institutions (MSIs) and emerging research institutions, for the BER topic in the Funding for Accelerated Inclusive Research (FAIR) Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA). This FOA aims to build research capacity, infrastructure, and expertise at these institutions through mutually beneficial relationships between applicants and DOE national laboratories, SC scientific user facilities, or R1 MSIs.
The lead institution must be a non-R1 MSI or an emerging research institution. The lead institution must partner with a team member in one of the following categories: a DOE National Laboratory (https://www.energy.gov/national-laboratories), an SC Scientific User Facility (https://science.osti.gov/User-Facilities), or an R1 MSI. The lead institution should show clear scientific leadership. More information on institution designations/classifications, can be found here. Please see the funding opportunity for agency contacts and more details.
Feel free to reach out to the BER Program Managers with any questions:
Biological Systems Sciences Division
- Boris Wawrik (Boris.Wawrik@science.doe.gov)
- Dawn Adin (Dawn.Adin@science.doe.gov)
Earth and Environmental Systems Sciences Division
- Brian Benscoter (Brian.Benscoter@science.doe.gov)
- Shaima Nasiri (Shaima.Nasiri@science.doe.gov)
The PI and institution representative submitting on behalf of the PI must register for an account in PAMS before it will be possible to submit a pre-application. All PIs and those submitting pre-applications on behalf of PIs are encouraged to establish PAMS accounts as soon as possible to avoid submission delays. Additionally, all PIs are encouraged to read the FOA carefully for new requirements related to Promoting Inclusive and Equitable Research (PIER) plans, new current/pending and biographical sketches.
- Informational Webinar (optional): January 6, 2023; 2:00 pm ET (register here)
- Deadline for Pre-applications (required): February 7, 2023; 5:00 pm ET
- Deadline for Applications: April 11, 2023; 11:59 pm ET
- DE-FOA-0002931: https://science.osti.gov/Initiatives/FAIR/-/media/grants/pdf/foas/2023/SC_FOA_0002931.pdf
- All BER funding announcements: https://science.osti.gov/ber/Funding-Opportunities